Before you bring home a new quilly family member, it is important to have a comfortable home ready! (Click on each category for more information)
- Cage – Solid bottom, proper ventilation (no glass aquariums), at least 4 square feet of surface area
- Bedding – Many owners find fleece the easiest to clean and use, just buy it at a fabric store and cut to size. You can also use recycled paper product such as Carefresh, or aspen shavings. Never use cedar or clumping cat litter.
- Food and Water Dishes
- Wheel – Solid running surface (no wire), at least 10-12″ diameter, ‘Comfort Wheels‘ or homemade bucket wheels are the most recommended.
- Food – Look for ‘chicken’ or ‘chicken meal’ as the first ingredient, protein should be 28-34%, fat 9-15%
- Heat Set-up – Cage needs to be 73-78 degrees at all times, have a plan for how you will ensure this happens.
- Cleaning supplies – Wheels may need daily cleaning, cages and accessories need to be cleaned weekly. Always use non-toxic cleaners, and unscented whenever possible. Some people like to use baby wipes. We use a solution of vinegar and water. Fleece needs to be washed in ‘free and clear’ detergents with no dyes or perfumes.
- Baby Nail Clippers – You will need to trim their nails and we have found these to be the easiest to use.