Diet is very important to their overall health. Their main kibble should say 27%-34% protein and be low in fat (10%-14%). We suggest a main diet of a high quality cat kibble (about 1-2 tablespoons) a day. Look for chicken or chicken meal as the first ingredient. They should have access to food in their dish and fresh water at all times.
For more food information visit: Beginner’s Guide to Hedgehog Nutrition
This is a good list from Volcano View Hedgehogs of the most commonly found approved food: Recommended Kibble
You should also supplement the kibble with treats. Treats are a great way to bond with your hedgie!
- Mealworms, wax worms, silk worms, crickets
- Canned cat food (about a teaspoon)
- Baby food (chicken is popular)
- Cooked chicken, turkey, or salmon (all without seasoning)
- Fruits or veggies: favorites seem to be sweet potato, carrot, peas, applesauce, and watermelon
- Scrambled egg
For more information on treats: Treat List
DO NOT FEED:
- Kibble that is higher than 37% protein (has been linked to renal problems)
- Fresh caught bugs can have parasites and pesticides in them
- Grapes, raisins, and chocolate are TOXIC
- Nuts and seeds are choking hazards
- Fatty foods and junk food (if its not considered healthy food for humans, its not good for them either)
- Food marketed for guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, etc.